Offices are open by appointment only. Click here for all office updates.
Driving/Road test appointments are available to Hillsborough County residents only. Proof of residency will be required for driving/road test appointments.
In accordance with city and county ordinances, customers are required to wear masks (face coverings) when doing business with our office.
Vehicle for Hire
General Information for Vehicle for Hire Businesses
To apply for a certificate/permit you will need the following:
- A properly completed Certificate/Permit Application. Click here to find the Application. Click Vehicle For Hire – Forms – Application for Certificate for Limos, Vans, & Handicabs
- The business must identify & list all vehicles utilized by the business. The list shall include the year, make, model and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). HCTC has a form for this in the application.
- Liability insurance for each vehicle. Combined Single Limit (each accident) – $300,000 OR Bodily Injury (per person) – $125,000; Bodily Injury (per accident) – $250,000; Property Damage (per accident) – $50,000. Note: All vehicles providing transportation services on property belonging to the Tampa Port Authority, must name the Tampa Port Authority as an additional insured on said motor vehicle liability insurance policy.
- Vehicle Registration for each vehicle.
- An ASE Certification Form for each vehicle. Each vehicle must be inspected and certified safe by an ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) certified mechanic or commercial auto repair facility licensed by the State of Florida. (Form HCTC_P1)
- Identify and list all drivers utilized by the business. The list shall include the name, address, date of birth and phone number for each driver. HCTC has a form for this in the application. This is a new BOCC requirement so expect some confusion. Note: All drivers must be issued a public vehicle driver’s license to operate any Vehicle for Hire.
- Copy of current Business Tax Receipt from the Hillsborough County Tax Collectors Office.
- Articles of Organization, FL Profit Corporation, or Limited Partnership, registered with the
- Division of Corporations at Sunbiz.org. Include fictitious name registration when applicable.
- Acknowledgement of Ordinance 17-22; Exhibit A.
- Compliance Affidavit; Exhibit B.
- Fees: Certificate – $300.00 for business; Permit – $150.00 per vehicle.
All vehicle for hire businesses must renew their certificates and permits annually.
To renew, you must submit an application renewal along with your application fee. Click here to find the application. Click Vehicle for Hire – Forms – Application for Certificate for Limos, Vans, & Handicabs
- Businesses must comply with all city, county, state, and federal laws and ordinances at all times
- Businesses must maintain motor vehicle insurance for each vehicle used by the business
- Businesses must ensure that all vehicles are up to date on inspections and valid permits
- Businesses must accept cash and major credit and debit cards as forms of payment for customers
- Taxicab businesses must provide service 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Businesses must maintain all records of vehicles used by the business, vehicle inspections, proof of insurance for all vehicles, and all drivers employed by the business for 5 years
- Businesses must cooperate with all audit requests
- Business owners must renew their certificate annually
- Business owners must notify the Hillsborough County Tax Collector in writing no later than 10 days after changing its physical address
- Business owners must not permit any person to drive any vehicle unless the person has a valid Public Vehicle Driver License
To see a full list of requirements, see Section 7 of Hillsborough County Ordinance No. 17-22
- All vehicles must have a valid permit to be in operation
- Each vehicle must pass an inspection and be certified by an Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certified mechanic or commercial auto repair facility licensed by the State of Florida annually
- All vehicles must be structurally sound and be maintained in proper operating condition at all times
- All Taxicabs, Handicabs, and Vans are required to prominently display the certificate holder’s name on the exterior of the vehicle
- All vehicles must be kept clean sanitary, and free from damage
- Any vehicle exceeding 10 model years on December 31 of any year shall obtain an additional annual inspection of interior restraint and safety equipment
- All vehicles must display 2 permit stickers: one on the bottom corner of the rear window on the driver’s side and the other on the bottom corner of the front windshield on the passenger side
- All vehicles are subject to inspection at any time
To see a full list of requirements, see Section 8 of Hillsborough County Ordinance No. 17-22
All vehicles for hire, providing for-hire transportation services on property belonging to the Tampa Port Authority, must name the Tampa Port Authority as an additional insured on its motor vehicle liability insurance policy.
- Bodily Injury per person – $125,000
- Bodily Injury per accident – $250,000
- Property Damage per accident – $50,000
Frequently Asked Questions
Applications & Forms