Concealed Weapon License Application

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I use passport photos to obtain a CWL?
No, passport photos may only be used when applying by mail.
Can I use my fingerprint card?
No, fingerprint cards may only be used when applying by mail.
Can I use an expired passport or picture ID?
No, documents must be valid.
What is the application process once I arrive?
A representative will direct you to a computer station where you will complete an on-line application form. (Please note that you do not need to complete an application form in advance.) Your application will be reviewed for completeness and notarized. Then, we will take your photograph and electronically scan your fingerprints.
How long will it take to complete the application process?
The entire process should be completed in an hour or less.
How long will it take for Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) to process my concealed weapon license application?
By law, FDACS has 90 days from the date your application is submitted to process it (Section 790.06, Florida Statutes). However, licenses are generally received in a much shorter time. You may check on the status of your application by calling (850) 245-5691 and selecting option 1.
Is your office responsible for determining who is eligible to receive a concealed weapon license?
No; our office will simply accept application, take ID photo and fingerprint applicants.  The FDACS will continue to process all applications and make determinations regarding applicant’s eligibility for licensure.
Is my personal information protected and exempt from public record if I apply in person at your office?
Yes.   All personal identifying information of applicants and licensees will continue to be confidential and exempt from disclosure as public records (Section 790.0601, Florida Statutes).
Can I change my address on my concealed weapons license at your office?
No; you will need to contact the FDACS directly to notify them of your change of address. Click here for more information.
Can I get a duplicate of my concealed weapons license at your office?
No, Revised or duplicate licenses must be obtained through FDACS.
Are there discounts for active or retired Florida law enforcement employees?

Yes; however, you must bring specific documentation to qualify for the reduced licensing fees.Click here to view First Time License fee schedule. Click here to view the License Renewal fee schedule.

Retired Florida Law Enforcement Required Documentation
If you are retired from a Florida law enforcement agency by which you were employed as a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or correctional probation officer, you must bring a copy of an official document that shows the date of your retirement and the name of the public agency from which you retired. Simply having been formerly employed at one time as a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or correctional probation officer is not sufficient. Note also that Florida law does not extend this fee exemption to federal law enforcement retirees or law enforcement retirees from other states.

Active Florida Law Enforcement Required Documentation
You must bring an official letter on agency letterhead stating that you are currently employed with that agency as a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or correctional probation officer.  The letter must be signed by the agency head, the agency’s authorized representative, or the agency’s personnel officer.


Can I renew my concealed weapon license at your office?
Yes; you may renew up to 150 days prior to expiration and up to 180 days after expiration with a $15.00 late fee.  A concealed weapons license that has been expired more than 180 days cannot be renewed; an application for a new license must be made.
How does the renewal process work at your office?

Bring your required information* for renewal to your appointment; we will perform the notary service, take your picture and securely submit your renewal package to FDACS for final approval and issuance.

  * Required Information for Renewals

  1. Your Concealed Weapon License Number or Concealed Weapon License Renewal Notice
  2. State issued Photo ID that includes full name and date of birth
  3. Legal name change documentation if applicable (i.e. marriage certificate, court records, etc.)