Motor Vehicle Services

Military Service Members & Family

The Hillsborough County Tax Collector's office values the men and women serving in the armed forces and their families. Providing excellent customer service is our primary focus and we make every effort to ensure our military service members and their families are provided with all the necessary information required to make their transition as easy as possible

Below you will find answers to some commonly asked questions regarding motor vehicles.

I'm a resident of another state but will be stationed in Florida, do I have to title and register my vehicle here?
While you have the option to purchase a Florida license plate when stationed here, the Soldiers' and Sailors' Relief Act of 1940 authorizes non-resident service members to display a current license plate from their home state. If you do decide to title or register your vehicle in Florida more information can be found on our non resident military page
I'm a Florida resident with Florida registration and plates but stationed out of state, what renewal options do I have?
There are several options at your disposal. You can renew online, by mail, or have a family member or trusted friend renew for you in one of our many branch locations.
What special military plates does Florida offer?
Florida offers a variety of military related plates. Some are available to everyone and some are reserved to only those who have met certain criteria in order to be issued such plates. More information can be found on restricted plates and non-restricted plates.
I bought a vehicle while stationed in another country, will I owe any taxes when I title it in Florida?
Yes, Sales tax will be collected on the fair market value of the motor vehicle. For more information on titling a vehicle from out of the country vistit Out of Country Title Transfer for Military Members


The Hillsborough County Tax Collector's Office is commited to providing both Florida resident and non-resident military service memebers and their families with the most current information. If you need any additional information or have any questions not answered on this site please contact us so we can assist you.