Motor Vehicle Services

Non-Resident Military Information

Any member of the United States Armed Forces, his or her spouse or dependent child, who is not a Florida resident but is in this state while in compliance with military orders, can maintain their out-of-state license plates, if current. If you choose to purchase Florida license plates, the following items must be submitted for the first issuance and updated documentation must be presented each year for renewal.
  1. Copy of military orders assigning the applicant to a Florida military duty station.
  2. An out of state driver license. A "Valid in Florida Only" drivers license is acceptable in lieu of an out of state driver license.
  3. Copy of the out-of-state vehicle title. If a non-resident military member has out-of-country proof of ownership, they must first obtain a title in their home state. However, the out-of-country proof would be acceptable if the member is applying for a Florida certificate of title.
  4. If there is an outstanding lien, a letter on letterhead from the lien holder stating there is an outstanding lien on the described vehicle.
  5. Current proof of Florida property damage and PIP insurance. Company name, insurance identification code, and policy number is required.
  6. The vehicle identification number on your vehicle and odometer reading (if applicable) must be verified on a state form HSMV 82042 by one of the following: a law enforcement officer, Florida notary, DMV inspector, a Tax Collector employee, a Florida licensed car dealer, a Provost Marshal or a commissioned officer in active military service with the rank of 2nd Lieutenant or higher or an LNC, "Legalman”, Chief Petty Officer, E-7. This form is available online, at any Tax Collector's office or at most new car dealerships in the area. Please contact the service department of the dealership to verify the availability and fees.
  7. An accurately completed form HSMV 82002, Initial Registration Fee Exemption Affidavit. This form is available online or at any Tax Collector's office.
  8. Sales tax equivalent to Florida's tax and local sales taxes may be required if registering within six months of titling your vehicle. If you purchased the vehicle within the last six months, submit a bill of sale or invoice listing the vehicle purchase price, sales tax paid, and any trade-in allowance.
If the vehicle owner becomes a Florida resident, please refer to the Out-of-State Title Transfer  information.
Note: A specialty license plate may be issued at the applicant's request.