Motor Vehicle Services

Motor Vehicle Out of Country Title Transfer for Military Members

To title a motor vehicle that was purchased while stationed out of the country you must bring the following to the Tax Collector’s office:
1.    Military title & registration or out of country title and registration that reflects the complete motor vehicle information (year, make VIN, expiration date) and ownership information. If the vehicle was purchased while out of the country, Florida sales tax will be due on the declared value of the vehicle at the time of applying for title.    
If the vehicle has never been titled or registered and there is a loan on the vehicle, the lien holder may have the original Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. In order for our office to title the vehicle we must have the original Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. Florida sales tax will be paid on the purchase price less any trade at 6% plus a 1% discretionary tax up to $50.00. A bill of sale must be furnished showing the price paid to the dealership. 
2.    Each person, whose name appears on the ownership documents, or their appointed power of attorney, must be present to sign a new application for title. Bring a valid driver’s license from this state or any other state in the US or Canada. If power of attorney has been appointed and the owner has an out of state driver’s license, a copy is needed at the time of transfer. If you are the appointed power of attorney, the original or certified copy of the original signed appointment must be presented at the time of application.
3.    If purchasing a license plate for a motor vehicle, proof of Florida property damage and PIP insurance must be submitted. Company name, insurance identification code, and policy number are required.
4.    A copy of your military orders may be necessary when purchasing a license plate.
5.    If the vehicle has never been titled in the United States the (VIN) verification and odometer reading must be verified by a DMV compliance examiner ONLY (custom papers and the motor vehicle must be taken to the local DMV for a VIN inspection prior to applying for title). Their location is: 5701 E. Hillsborough Ave. Suite 2228, Tampa, Florida 33610.
EXCEPTION: Any Florida resident on active military duty out of state (applying for Florida title on a used vehicle with proof of ownership from a foreign country), may have their VIN verified by any out of state law enforcement officer or military law enforcement authority.
For assistance in calculating fees, please contact us.