Motor Vehicle Services

Motor Vehicle Out of State Title Transfer

To register a vehicle previously titled out-of-state, please bring the following documents to the Tax Collector's office.

1.    Out-of-state title certificate in your name or assigned to you. If recording a lien, the lienholder’s name, address and date of lien are required. If lienholder is an individual, a copy of their driver license must included.
If your vehicle is titled in your name but is financed, and the title is being held by the lienholder, submit complete lienholder information including account number, lien holder name, mailing address, and fax number along with your current registration. If your out-of-state registration is not current, contact your lien holder for a photocopy of the front and back of the vehicle title to submit.
If your vehicle is leased, a copy of the lease agreement is required. In addition, submit complete lien holder information including account number, lien holder name, mailing address, and fax number along with your current registration. If your out-of-state registration is not current, contact your lien holder for a photocopy of the front and back of the vehicle title to submit.
2.    Each person whose name appears on the title, or their appointed power of attorney, must be present to sign a new application for title. Bring personal identification in the form of a driver license or identification card issued by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV), a valid passport or Canadian driver's license or identification card. If you are the appointed power of attorney, the original or certified copy of the original signed appointment must be presented at the time of application.
3.    Applicant's date of birth and Florida driver license number are recorded as part of the application.
4.    The vehicle identification number (VIN) and odometer reading (if applicable) must be verified on a state form 82042 by one of the following; a law enforcement officer, Florida notary, DHSMV inspector, a Tax Collector employee, a Florida licensed car dealer or a Provost Marshal or a commissioned officer in active military service, with the rank of 2nd Lieutenant or higher or an LNC, Legalman, Chief Petty Officer. This form is available online (Note: Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™ is required to view and print the form), at any Tax Collector's office or at most new car dealerships (please contact the service department of the dealership to verify the availability and fees). Our office will perform VIN verifications on-site when weather permits. For the safety of our customers and staff, rainy, thunder and lightning conditions will be considered inclement weather
5.    Sales tax  is collected on the purchase price of a vehicle assigned to you on the out-of-state title. If the out of state title certificate was issued in your name, then sales tax equivalent to Florida's tax and local sales taxes may be required if registering within six months of titling your vehicle. If you purchased the vehicle within the last six months, submit a bill of sale or invoice listing the vehicle purchase price, sales tax paid, and any trade-in allowance.
6.    If purchasing a license plate for a motor vehicle, proof of Florida property damage and PIP insurance must be submitted. Company name, insurance identification code and policy number are required.
7.    If transferring a license plate, submit the previous registration, license plate, or decal number.
For assistance in calculating fees, please email us or contact our office at (813) 635-5200.


Fast Title Service

Certificate of title issued same day.

Fast Title Service is available at all Tax Collector locations. Upon request, the title certificate will be issued on site for an additional $10. A written Authorization/Release Affidavit or Power of Attorney is required by all third party recipients.