The entire team at HCTC is thinking of Hillsborough County Sheriff Deputy Santos and Corporal Brito as they recover from injuries sustained in the line of duty. We consider them part of the Tax Collector family as they also serve as off-duty officers at our branch offices, where they protect our team and customers. We join with the entire community in wishing them a speedy recovery. If you’d like to donate to aid in their recovery, please visit this link.
Title & Tag Services
Dealerships, Titles Services and Financial Institutions
General Requirements are as follows:
- All Florida driver license or identification numbers that cannot be verified in FRVIS will be returned for a copy of the identification used to verify the applicant’s identity.
- All title work submitted without a Florida driver license or identification number must be accompanied by a copy of the identification used to verify the applicant’s identity per DHSMV TL-01.
- A copy of the identification used to verify the applicant’s identity must be clear and legible or the transaction will be returned.
- If you are a courier / title service, you must provide a current copy of your Hillsborough County Business Tax Receipt each year.
- If the dealer’s license is revoked, cancelled or suspended, or if an unredeemed dishonored check is outstanding, transactions cannot be processed without prior arrangements and appropriate authorization.
- Letters of Authorization should be addressed to Hillsborough County Tax Collector, submitted on letterhead (dated and signed) at least once a year upon dealer license renewal or business tax renewal. These letters indicate an agent(s) and the authority to act for the dealership (fast title authorization, etc.) and should be updated anytime your designee(s) change.
- Affidavits submitted for corrections involving dealer error must be on dealership letterhead. (Letterhead consists of Dealership/company name, address and phone/fax number or other contact information. Affidavits should include the date and name and title of the signer.)
Identification Requirements for Dealer Title Work
Pursuant to DMV procedure TL-01, Section III, if the title work includes a completed form HSMV 82040 with the applicant’s Florida driver license or ID card number, the paperwork will be accepted without a copy of the applicant’s proof of identification.
However, if the applicant’s proof of identification is something other than a Florida driver license or ID card, the dealer must submit a copy of this proof with the application. Acceptable forms of identification are:
- A valid driver license or identification card issued by any state within the U.S. or U.S. Territory
- A valid Canadian driver license or identification card
- A valid passport or passport card issued by any country
If a passport is used, we must have a copy of the pages containing the personal data, bearer’s signature and photo (do not copy Visa pages).
If the applicant is a business or other legal entity, you must provide documentation to prove the validity of the business or entity, such as:
- Copies of governmentally filed FEID documents
- Fictitious name documents
- Incorporation documents
- Certificate of Status from the Department of State
All customers applying for title or registration must present proof of identification. If the applicant is a Florida resident, they must apply for a Florida driver license or identification card. If they are from another country or state, they must submit acceptable proof of identification as indicated above.
Please contact our dealer hotline at (813) 612-6719 if you have any questions about these new requirements.