Military Services

Military Service Members & Family

The Hillsborough County Tax Collector’s office values the men and women serving in the armed forces and their families. Providing excellent customer service is our primary focus and we make every effort to ensure our military service members and their families are provided with all the necessary information required to make their transition as easy as possible

Non-Resident Military Information

Any member of the United States Armed Forces, his or her spouse or dependent child, who is not a Florida resident but is in this state while in compliance with military orders, can maintain their out-of-state license plates, if current. If you choose to purchase Florida license plates, the following items must be submitted for the first issuance and updated documentation must be presented each year for renewal.

  1. Copy of military orders assigning the applicant to a Florida military duty station.
  2. An out of state driver license. A “Valid in Florida Only” driver license is acceptable in lieu of an out of state driver license.
  3. Copy of the out-of-state vehicle title. If a non-resident military member has out-of-country proof of ownership, they must first obtain a title in their home state. However, the out-of-country proof would be acceptable if the member is applying for a Florida certificate of title.
  4. If there is an outstanding lien, a letter on letterhead from the lien holder stating there is an outstanding lien on the described vehicle.
  5. Current proof of Florida property damage and PIP insurance. Company name, insurance identification code, and policy number is required.
  6. The vehicle identification number on your vehicle and odometer reading (if applicable) must be verified on a state form HSMV 82042 by one of the following: a law enforcement officer, Florida notary, DMV inspector, a Tax Collector employee, a Florida licensed car dealer, or Military Police Officer. This form is available online, at any Tax Collector’s office or at most new car dealerships in the area. Please contact the service department of the dealership to verify the availability and fees.
  7. An accurately completed form HSMV 82002, Initial Registration Fee Exemption Affidavit. This form is available online or at any Tax Collector’s office.
  8. Sales tax equivalent to Florida’s tax and local sales taxes may be required if registering within six months of titling your vehicle. If you purchased the vehicle within the last six months, submit a bill of sale or invoice listing the vehicle purchase price, sales tax paid, and any trade-in allowance.
If the vehicle owner becomes a Florida resident, please refer to the Out-of-State Title Transfer  information.
Note: A specialty license plate may be issued at the applicant’s request.

Out of Country Title Transfer for Military Members

To title a motor vehicle that was purchased while stationed out of the country you must bring the following to the Tax Collector’s office:
  1. Military title & registration or out of country title and registration that reflects the complete motor vehicle information (year, make VIN, expiration date) and ownership information. If the vehicle was purchased while out of the country, Florida sales tax will be due on the declared value of the vehicle at the time of applying for title. You may review the frequently asked question regarding sales tax below to determine if you qualify for an exemption. No credit is allowed for any sales or use tax paid to a foreign country.
  2. If the vehicle has never been titled or registered and there is a loan on the vehicle, the lien holder may have the original Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. In order for our office to title the vehicle we must have the original Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. Florida sales tax will be paid on the purchase price less any trade at 6% plus a 1.5% discretionary tax up to $75.00. A bill of sale must be furnished showing the price paid to the dealership.
  3. Each person, whose name appears on the ownership documents, or their appointed power of attorney, must be present to sign a new application for title. Bring a valid driver license from this state or any other state in the US or Canada. If power of attorney has been appointed and the owner has an out of state driver license, a copy is needed at the time of transfer. If you are the appointed power of attorney, the original or certified copy of the original signed appointment must be presented at the time of application.
  4. If purchasing a license plate for a motor vehicle, proof of Florida property damage and PIP insurance must be submitted. Company name, insurance identification code, and policy number are required.
  5. A copy of your military orders may be necessary when purchasing a license plate.
  6. All used vehicles coming into Florida from a foreign country, including dealer transactions, must have the vehicle identification number (VIN) and odometer reading verified by a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Compliance Examiner ONLY. Custom documents and the motor vehicle must be taken to the local DMV for a VIN inspection prior to applying for title. The local DMV office is located at 5701 E. Hillsborough Ave. Suite 2228, Tampa, Florida 33610.
EXCEPTION: Any Florida resident on active military duty out of state (applying for Florida title on a used vehicle with proof of ownership from a foreign country), may have their VIN verified by any out of state law enforcement officer or military law enforcement authority.

Military Service Frequently Asked Questions

The Hillsborough County Tax Collector’s Office is commited to providing both Florida resident and non-resident military service memebers and their families with the most current information. If you need any additional information or have any questions not answered on this site please contact us so we can assist you.