Offices are open by appointment only. Click here for all office updates.
Driving/Road test appointments are available to Hillsborough County residents only. Proof of residency will be required for driving/road test appointments.
In accordance with city and county ordinances, customers are required to wear masks (face coverings) when doing business with our office.
Title & Tag Services
Out of State Title Transfer
To register a vehicle previously titled out-of-state, please bring the following documents to the Tax Collector's office:
- Out-of-state title. If the vehicle is already titled in your name but is financed, and the title is being held by the lienholder, click here for required documents.
- If recording a lien, the lienholder’s name, address and date of lien are required. If lienholder is an individual, a copy of their valid state issued driver license must be included.
- If your vehicle is leased, a copy of the lease agreement and your current registration is required. If your out-of-state registration is not current, contact your lienholder for a photocopy of the front and back of the vehicle title to submit.
- Each applicant, or their appointed power of attorney, must be present and show valid identification (state issued driver license/identification card, passport or Canadian driver license/identification card). If a power of attorney is appointed, the original or certified copy of the signed appointment must be presented at the time of application along with a copy of the applicant’s valid identification.
- Vehicle must be present for a vehicle identification number (VIN) verification (weather permitting).If the vehicle is not available, a list of individuals authorized to complete the form can be found on here.
- Payment of sales tax equal to that of Florida state and local tax. A credit may be allowed with proof of a like tax paid in another state. An out-of-state title already issued in your name is not subject to sales tax with proof that the vehicle was purchased and used 6 months or more in another state.
- If purchasing a license plate for a motor vehicle, proof of Florida property damage and PIP insurance must be submitted. Company name, insurance identification code and policy number are required.
- If transferring a license plate, submit the previous registration, license plate, or decal number.
Fast Title Service
Other Title Transfers
To transfer ownership of a motor vehicle or mobile home titled in Florida, you must bring the following to any Tax Collector's office:
- The Florida title properly and fully completed by both the buyer and seller. This includes the buyer and seller’s signature and printed name, purchase date and price and if applicable odometer reading and date read. If recording a lien, the lien holders name, address and date of lien are required.
- Each applicant, or their appointed power of attorney, must be present to sign a new application for title. Bring personal identification in the form of a Driver License or Identification card issued by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, a passport, or Canadian driver license or identification card. If you are the appointed power of attorney, the original or certified copy of the original signed appointment must be presented at time of application.
- Applicant’s date of birth and Florida driver license number are recorded as part of the application.
- Sales tax is collected on the purchase price of a vehicle assigned to you.
- Proof of Florida property damage and PIP insurance to purchase a license plate. Company name, insurance identification code and policy number is required.
- If transferring a license plate or decal, submit the previous registration or license plate and decal number.
For assistance in calculating fees, please contact us or call our office at (813) 635-5200.
To title a motor vehicle that was purchased while out of the country you must bring the following to the Tax Collector’s office:
- Out of country title and registration that reflects the complete motor vehicle information (year, make VIN, expiration date) and ownership information. If the vehicle was purchased while out of the country, Florida sales tax will be due on the declared value of the vehicle at the time of applying for title.
- If the vehicle has never been titled or registered and there is a loan on the vehicle, the lien holder may have the original Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. In order for our office to title the vehicle we must have the original Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. Florida sales tax will be paid on the purchase price less any trade at 6% plus a 2.5% discretionary tax up to $125.00. A bill of sale must be furnished showing the price paid to the dealership.
- Each person, whose name appears on the ownership documents, or their appointed power of attorney, must be present to sign a new application for title. Bring a valid driver’s license from this state or any other state in the US, a valid passport, or a Canadian driver’s license or identification card. If power of attorney has been appointed and owner has an out of state driver’s license, a copy is needed at the time of transfer. If you are the appointed power of attorney, the original or certified copy of the original signed appointment must be presented at the time of application.
- If purchasing a license plate for a motor vehicle, proof of Florida property damage and PIP insurance must be submitted. Company name, insurance identification code, and policy number are required.
- If the vehicle has never been titled in the United States the (VIN) verification and odometer reading must be verified by a DMV compliance examiner ONLY (custom papers and the motor vehicle must be taken to the local DMV for a VIN inspection prior to applying for title). Their location is: 5701 E. Hillsborough Ave. Suite 2228, Tampa, Florida 33610.
- EXCEPTION: Any Florida resident on active military duty out of state (applying for Florida title on a used vehicle with proof of ownership from a foreign country), may have their VIN verified by any out of state law enforcement officer or military law enforcement authority.
For assistance in calculating fees, please email us or contact our office at (813) 635-5200.