Important Alert: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers plate is being redesigned with a fresh new look! As a result, no new plates are being manufactured until the new design is ready. Therefore, our inventory of the current plate design is very low and is reserved for replacement plates – no new plates are being sold at this time. As soon as we get the newly redesigned plate in stock, we will be sure to advertise on our website and social media. We apologize for any inconvenience. Stay tuned for updates. Go Bucs!
Hazmat Application Process
Fingerprinting and Application Process
- The written Hazmat exam is required to be taken for all original Hazmat and all renewal Hazmat endorsed license applications.
- Fingerprinting must be done in a Driver License office at the same time the application for a Hazmat endorsement is made. The Tax Collector offers Hazmat services by appointment only at our Brandon, Drew Park, North Tampa, and Plant City offices
- An application form must be completed at the time of fingerprinting to be sent to TSA. The application is available online.
- An application fee of $91 will be charged to cover costs of the background check process, in addition to the standard driver license issuance fee for the Commercial Driver License and for each endorsement.
- New residents of Florida requesting the Hazmat endorsement be added to their Florida Commercial Driver License must retake the written test AND redo the background check and finger printing regardless of when they processed it previously. Fees for the background check and fingerprinting must also be paid again.
Hazmat Application InformationPlease note this important information about applying for a Hazardous Materials (Hazmat) endorsement on your Florida CDL:
Your application for a new Hazmat or renewal of your current Hazmat-endorsed Florida CDL begins here, by filling out your application form on-line before you go to the Tax Collector’s office. Click on the link below after you have read these instructions.
- Fill out all of the sections that apply to you. When you have completed all required sections and answered the six questions at the end of the form, click on the button labeled “Check Form for Errors”.
- You will be prompted to add any required information that is missing, except for your driver license number. The driver license number should be left blank if you are transferring from another state and do not yet have a Florida driver license.
- Some information requirements depend on answers to other questions. Examples: If you were not born in the US, you will need to provide your Alien Registration Number. If you served in the military, you will need to provide the branch, discharge date if applicable, and type of discharge. Make sure to obtain and provide the correct information if it applies to you.
- When no required information appears to be missing, you will see a screen displaying all of your entries for final review. Check again that all of your entries are correct, with no typing errors. Mistakes may cause later delays in receiving your Hazmat.
- When you are sure the information you have entered is complete and correct, click on the link labeled “Click Here to Print the TSA Hazmat Application Form”.
- Print your completed form.
- Bring the printed form to one of the “hazmat” Tax Collector offices to continue your application process. At the Tax Collector’s office, you will be issued a new CDL, pay a $91 Hazmat application fee in addition to the other fees for driver license issuance, and be fingerprinted. Your application form will be certified and submitted by the driver license examiner, with your new Florida driver license number if necessary, at the end of this process.
- New or Expired Hazmat Applicants: You will be issued a Commercial Driver License without a HAZMAT endorsement on the day you apply. If your background check is approved by TSA, you will be mailed a new license with the HAZMAT endorsement.
- Renewal of Hazmat-endorsed CDLs: You must begin the background check process at least 30 days in advance of the expiration date on your license to avoid possible ineligibility to transport hazardous materials while awaiting the results. Your renewal notice will advise you of that date. When you apply for the background check, you will be issued a new license with a time-limited Hazmat endorsement. If your background check is approved by TSA, you will be mailed a new license with a Hazmat endorsement that is valid until your license next expires. CDLs with Hazmat endorsements must be renewed every four years, and may be renewed up to one year before they expire.
Waiting for Results
- After completing the fingerprinting and application process, your information will be submitted to TSA to make the determination of eligibility.
- The Tax Collector’s office will have no information on the status of TSA’s assessment process until their final determination has been made. However, you may go to the Department’s online status check for Pending HAZMAT Endorsement Applications.
- If you receive information from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) that you did not pass the background check, you may apply for an appeal, or in some cases apply for a waiver.
- The appeal must be made through TSA. You may contact TSA HAZMAT at (855) 347-8371 (Weekdays from 8 am to 10 pm ET)