Vehicle For Hire
The purpose and intent of the Vehicle for Hire service are to promote the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of Hillsborough County through the regulation of vehicles for hire, including taxicabs, limousines, handicabs, vans and wreckers.
We are currently renewing and issuing original Public Vehicle Driver Licenses (PVDL) at our East Tampa office. We are also renewing and issuing original Certificates and Vehicle Permits for Limousines, Public Transportation Vans, and Handicabs.
OFFICIAL NOTICE: 2022 Notification of Certificates and Limited Taxicab Permits
Click here to view 2022 Assignments of Permits
The Tax Collector’s Office does not issue permits or certificates for Ambulatory Services. Customers inquiring about Advance Life Services (ALS) and Basic Life Services (BLS) should contact the Hillsborough County Emergency Medical Planning Council (813) 307-3665. The Florida Department of Health’s website is another resource to find more information.
Vehicles for Hire
Handicabs are a vehicle designed, constructed, reconstructed, or operated for the transportation of a person with non-emergency conditions where no medical assistance is needed or anticipated; or for a person who is unable to comfortably use standard means of transportation; or a person who cannot enter, occupy, or exit a vehicle without extensive assistance; or where specialized equipment is used for a wheelchair or stretcher service; and where the driver serves as both a driver and attendant to assist the customer.
All handicabs equipped for wheelchair transportation must
- Have a lift or ramp, operated manually, electrically and/or hydraulically, with sufficient capacity to safely and smoothly assist in the entrance and exit of passengers
- Have, for each passenger transported, 2 positive means of securely latching or locking the wheelchair to the vehicle
- Have, for each passenger transported, restraining belts or straps to securely confine passengers to wheelchairs in which they are transported
- Entry and exit doors must be equipped with secure latching devices
- Must have a minimum of 56 inches of headroom from the floor to the ceiling
- Floor covering must be one seamless piece, and side panels and covering must be sealed and bordered with rustproof, corrosion-resistant cove moldings
All handicabs equipped for stretcher transportation must:
- Have a crash stable side or center mounting style, quick-release litter fastener
- Must have 2 types of strap type restraining devices per stretcher cot and litter
- Must have a smooth floor with minimal voids or pockets
- Must have clean blankets, linen, or disposable sheets for each patient
- Must have airtight storage compartments for soiled linen
- Must have 2 attendants who have valid Public Vehicle Driver Licenses
All handicab drivers must have completed a certified standard first aid course, state certified standard CPR training course, and a defensive driving course. Drivers must maintain these required certifications and must provide evidence of such when renewing their license.
Limousines are any chauffer-driven motor vehicle not equipped with a taximeter that is for the exclusive use of the passenger, with seating for no more than 15 passengers, including the driver. The pickup is on a prearranged basis and the route and destination are controlled by the passenger.
Trespass Towing and Immobilization Services
Trespass towing services remove or tow a vehicle or vessel from private properties without the consent of the vehicle’s or vessel’s owner. Immobilization Services place, on a parked vehicle, any device that prohibits the vehicle’s usual manner of movement, also known as “booting.”